[Rarebooks] FS: Kate Douglas Wiggin Autobiography with superb letter

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Dec 29 12:01:33 EST 2009

This just cataloged and not yet listed online.

1.   WIGGIN, Kate Douglas. MY GARDEN OF MEMORY. AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY. Boston
& New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1923. First Edition. Illustrated
with photographs. Included is a two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED as
"Kate Douglas Riggs"  dated 19 June 1923 on both sides of a sheet of
paper with Bowden House imprint, with envelope. Wiggin discusses her
first trip abroad (shared with the recipient of the letter), her health,
as well as this book, her autobiography. In part: "Well, Durant Cheever,
you have made me sit straight up & observe the landscape by your
unexpected letter this morning!... The fact is from August 1921 I have
been struggling against illness & sorrow at my mother's death-- (a
morbid sorrow for she was ninety-one & a half & ready to go) and I have
retired more & more simply because I had not strength to keep up &
because I have been constantly famished for sleep! My husband's opinion
of my autobiography is too favorable, though he is generally critical. I
left it with the publishers with two or three chapters to be sent from
here & then the illness came on." Much more on her difficulty finishing
this book. Also laid in is a small twelve-page pamphlet about Wiggin by
the publisher. Inside the front cover she has written and SIGNED with
her initials the following: "This is my publisher's latest opinion of me
in April '23. What he will say of me if I cannot finish the auto. I
can't think. K.D.R." The recipient of the letter has placed her name on
the front endpaper dated November 1923. New endpapers, though the old
endpapers have been retained. Small area of fraying to the top front
joint. Very Good or better, lacking the dustwrapper.      $250.00
--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com