[Rarebooks] FS: Remarkable 5-1/2 page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED from LOUIS ARMSTRONG

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Feb 17 11:37:13 EST 2009

ARMSTRONG,  Louis. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) of  5-1/2  pages.
Corona,  NY:  17 April 1965. Fine 5-1/2 page letter on both  sides  of
three  7-1/4"  x  10-1/2"  sheets of blue  Satchmo  letterhead  with a
SIGNATURE  almost  six inches long! The most famous jazz  musician  of
the  20th century writes to a Mr. Kauffmann as he recuperates from  an
Eastern  European  tour.  In part, "Here I am sitting in  my  home  in
Corona  on  Easter Sunday night all by myself writing this  letter  to
you  while  my  wife Lucille has a good sleep. The reason  we  are  so
tired  is because we have just returned from our tour behind the  Iron
Curtain,  which we both enjoyed very, very much. We did a broadcast in
Frankfort  [sic],  Germany not long ago." He offers emotional  support
to  his  recently  widowed friend. "I always feel very  sad  when  you
mention  your  dear wife. The way you feel about Hilde - she felt  the
same  way  about  you.  True love. So as I've always  said,  when  two
people  love each other like you & Hilde did you must feel  contented.
Never  worry  -  never grieve! even if you should  marry  again.  Stay
happy.  I preach those same words to Lucille lots of times during  our
life  together. I have so much from the life she & I have already live
[sic]  together until I don't want no misery from [for] which ever one
of  us  should  leave  this   earth  last."  Armstrong  also  requests
Kauffmann  to  send him a new batch of lip salve whenever he  has  it.
SIGNED  as  Louis  Armstrong and Satchmo. A remarkable  letter  from a
charismatic,  innovative  performer  whose musical skills  and  bright
personality  transformed Jazz from a rough regional dance music into a
popular art form. Light creases from mailing. Near Fine       $5000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent