[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Wallace Stegner Letter on The Big Rock Candy Mountain

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Jul 2 10:01:07 EDT 2009

STEGNER,  Wallace. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) with  superb  content
regarding  THE BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN. [@1943]. Single-spaced,  1-1/2
pages, @700+ words to Mrs. [Gordon] Allport, wife of the psychologist,
with  numerous pencil notes in the margin, likely by Mrs. Allport.  An
important,  long letter discussing the themes of Stegner's best  known
book,  THE BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN. In part: "I'm a little overwhelmed
at  being  put even within shouting distance of Sigrid  Undset....  If
the  wanderer  is  a  Norwegian theme, tied up with  Odin,  how  about
Odysseus  and  Penelope?... I admit that the theme is  not  especially
American  if  one  considers only American fiction; if  one  considers
American  life,  and what it has been almost since Plymouth Rock,  the
wanderer  theme  seems  to me so typically American that it's  a  holy
wonder  the Great American Novel hasn't long since been written on it.
The  whole  frontier imposed it--and it imposed also, because  of  the
very  nature  of the virtues that fitted the frontier and did not  fit
civilized  living, and because of the reduction of family tradition to
its  bare  rudiments, the incompleteness of the pioneer life  and  the
necessity  of its being supplemented by several generations which move
gradually  toward sounder and more stable values.... I did mean it  to
shift  its  mood and its values and its style, I did mean it  to  have
layers  of meaning, I did mean it to be representative in a way of the
whole  American frontier experience, I did mean it to be profound  and
universal  and wonderful and the Great American Novel." Fold marks and
some light wrinkling. Very Good                               $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $10.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent