[Rarebooks] FOR SALE: EDGAR F. SMIT'S HISTORY OF AMERICAN CHEMISTRY + A FINE T.L.S.

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Fri Jul 31 23:31:36 EDT 2009

SMITH, EDGAR F.  CHEMISTRY IN AMERICA . . . ILLUSTRATED. N. Y.: Appleton, 1914.  First printing.  Original cloth stamped in gold (stamping on spine dull, but quite legible), top edge gilt, a very good copy. Laid in is a one and one half page TYPED LETTER SIGNED FROM SMITH., 1919, on his University of Pennsylvania "Office of the Provost" letterheads. Mentions his recent book, "Chemistry in Old Philadelphia."  "You have now the four contributions that I have made to the history of chemistry in this country . . .All this has been done at odd moments . . . It has been one of my playgrounds that I have sought when I have been tired and worn out doing other things.  It gives me the greatest delight to know that the chemists of this country are now taking an interest in our own American chemical history . . ."  He also writes of his forthcoming speech at the American Chemical Society and of his love for chemistry, his country and city.(For Smith's contributions to science, see "The Dictionary of Scientific Biogaphy.")$110.00

Trade Discount Available

THE AMERICANIST  113 CREEK'S EDGE  CHAPEL HILL  NC  27516
919 967 9287  919 475 0205  nkane at kanebooks.com  www.kanebooks.com