[Rarebooks] FS: A patriotic amateur scientist, NY, 1826

Powers Rare Books powersrarebooks at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 22:01:48 EDT 2009

I can offer...

      CUNNINGHAM, Obadiah.  Single-sheet circular letter addressed to
members of Congress soliciting a financial reward for his discovery of
the cause of the variation of the magnetic needle.  New York, April,
1826.
      Single sheet, measuring appx. 9.5 by 8 inches, signed at the
bottom by Cunningham.  Folded several times, with the remains of a seal
on the verso, slight foxing, but still very good.  Included with the
letter is a small, nineteenth-century pocket compass in a handcrafted
mahogany case with brass fittings (unrelated, but a nice
accompaniment).
      A curious printed letter simply addressed to "Sir" that reads in
part, "I am confident, (notwithstanding the received opinion may be to
the contrary) that I have discovered the law in nature, or cause of the
Variation of the Magnetic Needle and can elucidate, or demonstrate the
cause, why the Needle will not, at All Times, Point The Same In The
Same Place...It is stated that the British government have offered a
reward for the above-named discovery, accompanied with explanations.
But as an American, it is my duty, first to offer an explanation to the
Government of my country, and the people of these United States.  But
Congress have never passed any law on the subject...Somewhat advanced
in years, and living remote from the seat of government, I have
contemplated the petitioning the National Legislature, to pass an act,
granting a reward, and to appoint a committee to hear and decide upon
explanations...Will you advise me how I ought to proceed, in order to
do the public, and myself, justice."
      Various inquiries have yet to determine exactly who this Obadiah
Cunningham was, but this provides an interesting glimpse into the
workings of the amateur scientist in the young Republic.
      OCLC reports one copy at the NY Historical Society, but nothing
else by Cunningham is recorded there; other copies apparently at
Library of Congress and Tufts.

Image: http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/Cunningham.jpg

$350. plus shipping

Cheers,