[Rarebooks] fs: Alias Paine - biography of Lincoln conspirator

Back Creek Books rock at backcreekbooks.com
Wed Mar 11 08:17:48 EDT 2009

Greetings Booklovers,

We are pleased to offer:
~
(No. 7047 )  Ownsbey, Betty J. ALIAS "PAINE": LEWIS THORNTON POWELL, THE
MYSTERY MAN OF THE LINCOLN CONSPIRACY.
Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, (1993). Full cloth,
Octavo, xiv, 233 pages, black & white photographs, illus.. Fine, Issued
without dustjacket.
      The definitive biography of the 20-year-old Confederate operative who
attempted to murder Secretary of State Seward as Booth shot Lincoln.
Thorough research of elusive primary sources fleshes out Powell's family
history, his military service under Col. John S. Mosby, the question of his
recruitment for Confederate clandestine operations against the Lincoln
administration, his ultimate role in the conspiracy, his trial and
execution, etc. Fills a significant gap in the history of the Lincoln
assassination. Good bibliography, reproductions of some rare photographs.
Bound in dark blue cloth over boards with gilt stamped spine and upper board
lettering. Clean and tight. No prior ownership marks....... $65.00
- Photo(s), secure ordering:
http://www.tomfolio.com/mall/backcreekbooks/bookdetails.asp?book=7047

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $5.00 for the first book, $1.25 each additional book or
volume. Shipping charges for other carriers or international delivery quoted
individually upon inquiry. Payment accepted by credit card (V,MC,Amex,
Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php