[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Virginia Woolf Letter

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Mar 27 11:59:16 EDT 2009

One of many fine items to be posted on our website next week as part of
our Spring Catalog coinciding with the New York Book Fair next weekend.
  Please visit us in Booth A-8 where we will have this among many other
scarce pieces for sale.

WOOLF, Virginia. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) with Lengthy  Holograph
Postscript.  [15  Feb.  1925]. First Edition.  Superb  two-page  TYPED
LETTER  SIGNED  by  her  as "L & V.  Woolf  Hogarth  Press,  Tavistock
Square"  with  a  14-line holograph postscript on both  sides  of  one
8-1/2"  x  11"  sheet  to   Marjorie  [Joad]  about  family,  friends,
employees,  dogs, and her work. In part: "My dear Marjorie, or  rather
foolish,  wild, unpractical-woman why should you torment yourself with
thinking  you are hated and despised and forgotten-that people slander
you,  and  the  Woolves revile you?... I have scarcely been  out,  and
written  only  the completely idiotic trash which I have to do for  my
abominable  books.  All is forgiven to influenza though.... Oh how  my
back  aches  with stooping over those infernal trays and  tossing  u's
into  t  boxes ys into js. Despair has set in.... For my  own  part, a
little  beauty  is  what  I crave; anybody can be good;  wits  I  have
myself....  Leonard  has  just written the  most  intemperate  abusive
letter  to  Austin Johnson.... But let us never be troubled by  such a
surly  vindictive lying brute as A. J. again. This is not exaggerated.
So  if you hear of an elderly corpse floating in the Cam, swollen to a
disgusting  size,  and purple about the gills, that will be  your  old
friend....  My  party  was  absolutely  heavenly. I  lay  in  bed  and
imagined  it.  Never shall I go to a party any other  way....  Vanessa
Bell    behaved  disgracefully;  science   scowled  at  art;   letters
meandered."  Much  more.  Joad helped Woolf set type by  hand  at  the
press.  Austin  Johnson was a bookseller's representative.  There  are
also  mentions  of Hogarth titles by Freud and Robert Trevelyan.  Fine
in Fine custom slipcase. A truly exceptional letter.        $12,500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $10.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent