[Rarebooks] FS - A hard to beat book on flagellation

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Wed May 27 12:48:15 EDT 2009

*SPANKER, Colonel. /EXPERIMENTAL LECTURE/.*  "Privately Printed",
London. 1894. Larger 12mo, pp. 103. Inexpensively bound in original
black buckram, with no external identification of author or title, and
with plain endpapers.

"The exciting and voluptuous pleasures to be derived from crushing and
humiliating the spirit of a beautiful and modest young lady; as
delivered by him in the assembly-room of the Society of Aristocratic
Flagellants, Mayfair." Author's name is obviously a pseudonym but his
identity is uncertain. It is believed to be William Lazenby
(1825?-1888?), alias Duncan Cameron, alias (?) Thomas Judd, an English
writer of sadomasochistic accounts, who also edited similar writings.
Ian Gibson, in his book on the eccentric bibliophile Henry Sepncer
Ashbee, entitled "The Erotomaniac", suggests that the book actually had
several authors, including General Studholme Hodgson. According to
Pisanus Fraxi's "The Bibliography of Prohibited Books", this title was
first published in 1878 or 1879, despite the indication on the title
page of a publishing date of 1837. It was reprinted in French, in1887,
by A. Brancart, the author being shown as "Colonel Singlant". Ashbee
himself gives the following description of the text: "This book, which
we can fairly assert is the most coldly cruel and unblushingly indecent
of any we have ever read, stands entirely alone in the English
language." Praxi, in his lengthy description of the book and its
contents (vol. III, p. 251), observes: "We may console ourselves by
thinking that this book is too deliberately horrible to be dangerous,
for this mixture of gloating debauchery, inseparable from mental anguish
and bodily, cold-blooded, slaughter-house ill-usage, is merely a
highly-coloured, over-wrought phantasy of obscene ideas." See also,
Rose, "Register of Erotic Books", volume two, #4352 and #4353 (referring
to an 1886 Amsterdam edition). A very scarce title, WorldCat showing
only one institutional holding, and COPAC none. Our copy shows some wear
to the boards. The binding is a bit sprung, but nothing is loose.
Contents age-toned. Overall, in good plus condition.

Price: $250.00.

Terms of sale - the price is in USD. Payment by check or credit card.
Postage and packing charge will be $8 anywhere. Returnable within seven
days of receipt if not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB