[Rarebooks] FS: May Sarton's copies of first editions by Ashley Montagu, three inscribed to her by Montagu

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Oct 6 09:46:33 EDT 2009

 From our list of New Arrivals on our web page:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

1.   MONTAGU, Ashley [SARTON, May]. ON BEING HUMAN. New York: Henry
Schuman, (1950). First Edition. Poet May Sarton's copy with an
inscription to her on the front endpaper: "To May/You see, there is
still/hope for such as we are!/RWB/For May 3, 1950." We do not know who
"RWB" is. Laid in is a card from the 1996 auction of Sarton's estate.
Near Fine, lacking the dustwrapper.             $35.00

2.   MONTAGU, Ashley [SARTON, May]. TOUCHING: THE HUMAN SIGNIFICANCE OF
THE SKIN. New York & London: Columbia University Press, 1971. First
Edition. Poet May Sarton's copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author to
her on the front endpaper: "To May/with love/from/Ashley/4 Aug 73." Near
Fine in a Near Fine dustwrapper.                $100.00

3.   MONTAGU, Ashley and MATSON, Floyd [SARTON, May]. THE DEHUMANIZATION
OF MAN. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, (1983). First Edition. Poet
May Sarton's copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author to her on the front
endpaper: "For May with love/from/Ashley." Near Fine in a Near Fine
dustwrapper.                            $100.00

4.   MONTAGU, Ashley [SARTON, May]. GROWING YOUNG. New York: McGraw-Hill
Book Company, (1981). First Edition. Poet May Sarton's copy INSCRIBED
and SIGNED by the author to her on the front endpaper: "To May/with
love/from/Ashley." In addition there is an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS)
from Montagu to Sarton dated 18 January 1984. In full: "I hope you are
well--even tho' the world isn't, and the arctic weather adds to the
chill. I send you this book in the hope that it will cheer you up!" Near
Fine in a Near Fine dustwrapper.                 $125.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com