[Rarebooks] FS: Archive of Letters from E. B. White to artist Walter King Stone

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Sat Oct 17 12:31:36 EDT 2009

WHITE, E. B. ARCHIVE consisting of 1 AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED (ALS), 1
AUTOGRAPH NOTE SIGNED (ANS), and 1 TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Fine,
early letters to Cornell University professor and artist Walter King
Stone SIGNED as "Andy" and "Andy White" from the author of CHARLOTTE'S
WEB and STUART LITTLE. A one-page typed letter about a Stone painting,
in part: "When the landlady puts on a violin record downstairs, I brush
typewriters, manuscripts, soiled shirts, tobacco cans, and newspapers to
one side, place my feet luxuriously upon the dresser, and gaze long and
wistfully down your blue valley, and at your little snow-covered house
with the two lights, and at your nice little stars above the lovely blue
mountains. And I ponder imponderable thoughts, and dream of astounding
adventures which come to me when I explore the valley, and climb the
mountains." The two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED and dated 16 October on
NEW YORKER stationery is likely from 1936 as it refers to an article
White published in THE SATURDAY EVENING POST, "You Can't Resettle Me? A
Defense of New York City by a Stubborn Inhabitant" (SEP, Vol. CCIX, 10
Oct. 1936). In part: "The only reaction I've gotten from Post readers so
far is from a sad little woman who lives in Willow Street, Hoboken. She
said it wouldn't take much to induce her to leave New York for the
country. 'I got as far as Hempstead one time,' she said, 'and it was
like heaven.'" Finally there is a Christmas card "from Katharine and
Andy White" with a color photograph of a boy to the widow of Stone with
a short but lovely note by White. Fine.               $2,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com