[Rarebooks] FS: Eastman's AMERICAN ABORIGINAL PORTFOLIO, 1853, with steel-engravings

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Oct 21 09:39:11 EDT 2009

EASTMAN, Mary H[enderson]. THE AMERICAN ABORIGINAL PORTFOLIO.
Philadelphia: Lippincott, Grambo & Co., (1853). First Edition. Small
Folio (9-1/2" x 12-1/2") bound in the publisher's gilt-decorated blue
cloth. Illustrated with an engraved title page and 26 steel-engraved
plates by Seth Eastman, the author's husband and one of the finest
artists of the frontier American West. The Eastmans depict in words and
pictures from their own firsthand experiences the life and manners of
Native Americans in the 1840s. The plates are generally bright and fresh
with all tissue guards present. There are spots of foxing here and there
to some of the text pages and some of the plates. The binding is
completely original with no restoration. The spine edges and tips are
somewhat worn and the spine is rubbed, but the gilt is still visible.
The covers are bright and strong. Still a Near Fine copy of this
important title.                                    $2,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com