[Rarebooks] FS: Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.'s copy of the U.S. SENATE MANUAL

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Sep 1 12:33:08 EDT 2009

  [HOLMES, Oliver Wendell, Jr.]. [HOLMES'S COPY] SENATE MANUAL,
CONTAINING THE STANDING RULES AND ORDERS OF THE UNITED STATES SENATE...
Washington: Government Printing Office, 1907. First Edition. Contains
the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, Articles of
Confederation, etc. Revised under the direction of the Senate Committee
on Rules, 59th Congress. Bound in full black morocco with marbled
endpapers and edges, recently rebacked and retaining nearly all of the
original spine. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.'s copy
with "Mr. Justice Holmes" stamped in gilt on the front cover. In 1902
Holmes was appointed to the United States Supreme Court by President
Theodore Roosevelt, a position he held until his retirement in 1932.
Holmes became famous for his liberal interpretations of the United
States Constitution and was known as the "Great Dissenter" because of
his disagreement with the views of his colleagues on the Court. This
copy has twenty or so gilt-lettered leather index tabs pasted to the
appropriate fore-edge margins with two tabs no longer present. The only
writing present is, interestingly, in the sections toward the end
listing members of both the Supreme Court and the Cabinet which have
about a dozen or so updates in ink in block lettering in a minuscule
neat hand, possibly Holmes's but we are not certain. In any case, a rare
example of a working copy of a book from this great Supreme Court
Justice's library. Very Good and scarce.  	$3,500.00

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $25.00. Overseas postage billed at
approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.
Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be
returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in
the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure
returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major
specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions,
Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions
Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud
to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).
Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com