[Rarebooks] FS:Inscribed First of Pulitzer Winner THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY with 2 Letters from the author

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Sep 4 13:30:10 EDT 2009

One of many fine inscribed and unusual Thornton Wilder items found on
our new website:

*http://www.charlesagvent.com*

WILDER, Thornton. THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY. New York: Albert & Charles
Boni, 1927. First Edition. First Trade Edition, with title page printed
in green and black. Illustrated by Amy Drevenstedt. Winner of Wilder's
first of three Pulitzer Prizes, this copy is INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the
author "To Miss Margaret Dunbar/with all the/regard of an/old friend
and/co-worker/Thornton" and dated "Berkely/Jan 1930." With two AUTOGRAPH
LETTERS SIGNED by the author laid in. The first, two pages of @400 words
dated 1969 to Margaret Dunbar, was written on board ship to the Canary
Islands, in part: "The famous birds ... don't sing until they've been
put in a cage with a singing master - that is another bird who was
similarly taught. A large part of education is EXAMPLE, as I know well -
being much in debt to Miss Margaret Dunbar.... I'm well and cheerful,
but every year I get more and more unsocial, - a semi-hermit.... I have
friends in Berkeley, but you're the only friend there since the days
before we moved East." The other letter, two pages of @170 words dated
1972, appears to be addressed to Dunbar's mother expressing sympathy for
Miss Dunbar's death: "I remember vividly her stimulating influence in
the school library in Berkeley and her sense of fun -- ill disguised
under her strictness.... The mark that excellent teachers leave on their
pupils generally appears to disappear into thin air, but of course it
doesn't -- and it gave me pleasure to testify for half a century that
she was loved and appreciated." Inscription to Dunbar from friend dated
1927 on the first blank; dustwrapper with minor wear. About Fine in
close to Near Fine dustwrapper.         $7,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com