[Rarebooks] FS: Lovely set of the WORKS OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, 1796, 12 volumes in calf

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Sep 18 09:53:22 EDT 2009

On his 300th birthday:

JOHNSON, Samuel. THE WORKS OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, LL.D. TO WHICH IS PREFIXED
AN ESSAY ON HIS LIFE AND GENIUS BY ARTHUR MURPHY. London: T. Longman, et
al., 1796. New Edition. Twelve octavo volumes in contemporary dark calf
gilt recently rebacked in lighter calf with red and black morocco spine
labels; new endpapers. Essentially a reissue of the 1792 edition with
the same arrangement and errors found there. Illustrated with a
frontispiece portrait of Johnson in the first volume. The final volume
contains an index. All half titles lacking except for the seventh
volume. Some wear to corners; mild scattered foxing to some volumes.
Attractive, Near Fine set, very handsome on the shelf.   $2,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $35.00. Overseas

info at charlesagvent.com