[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce First Signed Limited Edition of Truman's MR. CITIZEN Inscribed to his Secretary of the Treasury

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Sun Apr 11 14:44:03 EDT 2010

 From our New Spring List of Rare Books & Autographs now posted on our
home page: http://www.charlesagvent.com. This title, along with many
others, is also at the New York Book Fair at the Park Avenue Armory at
67th St, Friday - Sunday April 9 - 11, in our booth at E-24.  Please visit.

TRUMAN, Harry. MR. CITIZEN. (New York): Bernard Geis, (1960). First
Edition. Illustrated with photographs. Truman's account of his
experiences after leaving the White House. The scarcest of the three
issues of this book, this is the Author's Edition bound in half brown
morocco and patterned paper boards with two gilt-lettered black labels
on the spine and a larger label on the front cover noting this as the
"Author's Edition." It is believed that only 100 copies were issued in
this manner for use by Truman to give to families and friends. This copy
is INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author to his former Secretary of the
Treasury on the half-title page: "To Honorable John Wesley
Snyder,/from/his good friend, comrade/and associate in most/trying
times. He was the/greatest of the great Secretaries/of the
Treasury./Sincerely/Harry Truman/Independence/November 11, 1960." Snyder
has highlighted a few passages with pencil. Housed in the original
pictorial slipcase which is also INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author:
"Honorable John W. Snyder/from/Harry Truman." This inscription and
signature are rubbed and faded but still visible. Some rubbing to one of
the spine labels. Near Fine in a Near Fine slipcase. 		$4,000.00

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com