[Rarebooks] fa: CHARLES II & PARLIAMENT on the COLONY OF TANGIER - 1680

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 10:11:40 EDT 2010

Listed now, along with other 17th-19th Century British books and
pamphlets, auctions ending Sunday, May 2. Details and images can be
found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340
OR
http://tinyurl.com/yhk74ma

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A., CA USA

His Majesties Message to the Commons in Parliament, Relating to
Tangier. And the Humble Address of the Commons to His Majesty, In
Answer to that Message. Presented upon Monday 29. Nov. 1680. London:
Printed for John Wright... and Richard Chiswell, 1680. FIRST EDITION.
Disbound folio (11.5 x 7.25 in); [4],71-85,[1]p. (11 leaves total);
license leaf, woodcut initials...

A remarkable document, not only in that it reminds us of one of
England's most exotic and little-known possessions — acquired from the
Portuguese in 1661 as part of the dowry of Charles II's wife,
Catherine of Braganza — but also for the pugnacious tone of
Parliament's reply to the king's message. Responding to Charles's
request for assistance in supplying the shaky colony at Tangier, the
Commons protest that, "at this time, when a Cloud...is ready to break
upon our heads in a storm of Ruine and Confusion, to enter into any
further consideration of this matter; especially to come to any
Resolutions in it, before we are effectually secured from the imminent
Dangers arising from the Power of Popish Person and Councils, We
humbly conceive will not consist either with our Duty to your Majesty
or the Trust reposed in Us by those we represent." Having thus
peremptorily dismissed the matter of Tangier (which they suspected of
being a hotbed of popery anyway), the authors go on at length to scold
the king for countenancing the pernicious spread of Catholicism in the
kingdom, with all its "Superstition and Idolatry" and "Great swarms of
Priests and Jesuits"; they berate him for not strictly enforcing the
Test Act and remind him of the "Accursed Conspiracy" which aims, by
"the Assassination of Your Majesty,... to arrive at the Suppression of
our Religion, and the Subversion of the Government." And most brazenly
of all, they lay much of the responsibility for this Popish
skullduggery squarely at the feet of "Your Majesties said Brother the
Duke of York."