[Rarebooks] FS: Important Teddy Roosevelt Letter with handwritten corrections: "Make American democracy safe for the world"

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Aug 31 12:17:08 EDT 2010

  ROOSEVELT, Theodore (Teddy). TYPED LETTER SIGNED WITH HOLOGRAPH
CORRECTIONS: "Make American democracy safe for the world." New York, 12
July 1917. A superb letter on METROPOLITAN magazine stationery to
Professor Abram S. Isaacs of the Department of Semitics at New York
University dated 12 July 1917. Roosevelt tells Isaacs that he has
received many letters in the last few days, "but both Mrs. Roosevelt and
I, on the whole, value your letter more than any other." He compliments
Isaacs on his statement and concludes: "Instead of being hypocritical
and bombastic about 'making the world safe for democracy,' let us do
what we can actually do, if we choose, and that is make American
democracy safe for the world." The United States entered World War I in
early 1917. Roosevelt was upset that he was not allowed to go to Europe
to participate, but he was gratified to learn that his efforts in the
spring of 1917 to secure a commission and lead troops overseas were the
immediate cause of the sending of American troops. Surely this letter is
related to Roosevelt's stand on the war. It would be almost a year to
the day on 14 July 1918 that Roosevelt's youngest son, Quentin, would be
killed in an air battle in France. Some creasing and short tears at
folds, still Very Good.         $4,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com