[Rarebooks] FS: THE LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, the first published edition to contain marginalia by Hester Thrale Piozzi

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Sat Dec 4 11:20:44 EST 2010

 From the world's largest inventory of LECs for sale with nearly all
titles available at any given time.  If you don't see it on our website,

http://www.charlesagvent.com

ask, as we carry hundreds of LECs we have yet to catalog and are always
in the process of acquiring more, as we just did last week purchasing a
sizable collection.

BOSWELL, James. THE LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, LL.D. London: Limited
Editions Club, 1938. Three octavo (6-1/4" x 10") volumes bound in full
Winterbottom linen buckram with red leather spine labels stamped in
gold. Printed at the Curwen Press, this is an important edition of this
classic in that it is the first published edition to contain marginalia
by Hester Thrale Piozzi. Two different copies, one belonging to Colonel
Ralph Isham and the other to Harvard bequeathed by Amy Lowell, each
annotated by Thrale, were used to create this edition. Copy #1205 of
1500 copies illustrated with three frontispieces. Issued unsigned.
Tasteful bookplate on the front pastedowns of each volume. Spines mildly
sunned, as almost always the case due to the sensitive linen bindings.
Slipcase stained but intact. Very Good or better in a Good, solid
slipcase.         $100.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $12.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com