[Rarebooks] FS: Henry Ford Letter to the Vice President of the United States pleading for mercy for an employee, price reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Dec 14 09:51:11 EST 2010

Price reduced:    Was $4500.00      Now $3000.00

FORD, Henry. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) to the Vice President of the
United States asking for a pardon for one of his employees. Detroit, 11
Feb. 1915. A fine two-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED to the Honorable John R.
Marshall, Vice President of the United States, on Ford's personal
letterhead regarding an employee whose vindictive wife and mother-in-law
keep having him arrested for parole violations. Ford begins by pointing
out to Marshall, whose first name was actually Thomas, that he met the
young man when he was governor of Indiana. He comments on his quality of
character: "He has risen rapidly in our organization and we think a
great deal of him.... I ask you, who have known the boy, to kindly look
into the case, believing with all my heart that he represents the kind
of manhood that is a credit to our state and our nation, and I believe
him fully entitled to a complete and absolute pardon.... I am not taking
this matter up with you in any perfunctory way, - I know this young man
personally, and his case represents an opportunity for doing
constructive good to manhood which, I believe you will agree with me, is
one of the best and most genuinely satisfactory things we can accomplish
in life." Ford adds this typed P.S. after his SIGNATURE: "I am sorry to
trouble you about such a matter, when affairs of state demand so much of
your time, but having met you and appreciating your sense of and desire
for justice for brother men, I feel privileged to call this to your
attention." Dark pencil notation upper left margin. Wrinkling to each
page but still a fine presentation. Normal creases from folding. Very
Good with fine content..
Marshall, incidentally, coined the saying: "What this country needs is a
good five-cent cigar."         $3,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com