[Rarebooks] FS: True First Edition of Charles Dickens's A CHRISTMAS CAROL in a superb Bayntun-Riviere Cosway-style binding with a watercolor portrait of Dickens

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Dec 20 10:12:01 EST 2010

DICKENS, Charles. A CHRISTMAS CAROL in superb COSWAY-STYLE BINDING.
London: Chapman & Hall, 1843. First Edition. Bound Cosway-style by
Bayntun-Riviere in full red crushed levant morocco with five raised
bands, spine and covers elaborately tooled and lettered in gilt with the
front cover set with a large oval miniature painting of Dickens under
glass, gilt dentelles, silk doublures and endpapers, all edges gilt.
Small octavo, 4" x 6-1/2"; [8], 166, [2, ads] pages with the original
cloth covers bound in at the rear. First edition, first issue: "Stave
I"; text entirely uncorrected; green-coated endpapers; blue half-title
page; red and blue title page. Four hand-colored steel-engraved plates
by and after Leech and four wood-engraved text illustrations by W. J.
Linton after Leech. Two tiny pinholes, one at the bottom of the front
joint and the other at the bottom of the rear joint. Housed in a red
cloth slipcase. Two tiny pinholes, one at the bottom of the front joint
and the other at the bottom of the rear joint. Fine, sumptuous copy with
superb Dickens portrait, in slipcase.         $30,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com