[Rarebooks] fa: JANE PORTER - THE SCOTTISH CHIEFS: A ROMANCE - 1810 (5 vols./1st Ed.)

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 4 11:58:09 EST 2010

Listed now, along with some other 19th-century British literature,
auctions ending Sunday, Feb. 7. Details and images can be found at the
URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340
OR
http://tinyurl.com/yhk74ma

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A., CA USA

Jane Porter: The Scottish Chiefs, A Romance. London: Printed for
Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, Paternoster-Row, 1810. FIRST EDITION.
Five volumes. Tall 12mo (18 cm) in period half crimson calf and
marbled boards with gilt-stamped rules and titles; bound without the
half-titles, but errata leaf is present in vol. 1. Sadleir 1971; CBEL
III, 414; NSTC P2613.
The Scottish Chiefs, a melodramatic and romanticized retelling of the
life of William Wallace, was one of the earliest successful historical
novels, setting the stage for Scott's Waverley and all the rest.
Beautiful, high-strung and sensitive, Jane Porter (1776-1850) had
soaked up the old Scottish tales as a child in Edinburgh, where she
was friends with a young Walter Scott. They renewed the acquaintance
years later in London and Porter always cherished the belief that her
work had greatly influenced Scott's later successes. The truth,
however was somewhat different. As James Hogg recalled years later:
"[Scott] said to me...when The Scottish Chiefs first appeared, ‘I am
grieved about this work of Miss Porter’s! I cannot describe to you how
much I am disappointed. I wished to think so well of it; and I do
think highly of it as a work of genius. But lord help her! ... It is
not safe meddling with the hero of a country and of all others I
cannot endure to see the character of Wallace frittered away to that
of a fine gentleman.’" Wildly successful at the time, a true
international sensation, The Scottish Chiefs was dismissed as
melodramatic rubbish by most later critics.