[Rarebooks] Ishill (Joseph) HAVELOCK ELLIS (With an autograph letter)

africana at clarkes.co.za africana at clarkes.co.za
Sun Feb 7 16:01:24 EST 2010

[Ishill (Joseph) Compiler, Editor and Printer]
HAVELOCK ELLIS (With an autograph letter from Havelock Ellis)
In Appreciation, by, Elie Faure, Bertrand Russell, H.L. Mencken,
Henry W. Nevinson, Henri Barbusse, Clarence Darrow, Judge Ben B.
Lindsey, John A. Hobson, Marguerite Tracy, Ellen Key, Dr.B.
Malinowski, and thirty-four other important writers. With an
unpublished letter by Thomas Hardy to Havelock Ellis, and a Foreword
by Isaac Goldberg & Embellishments by Louis Moreau.

299 pages, tipped-in frontispiece portrait of Havelock Ellis, 14
illustrations, white buckram cloth back with green paper title label
(chipped and creased), green paper sides - slightly soiled, edges
uncut, contents crisp.

This edition limited to 450 copies printed on American Egg Shell
paper and 50 copies on Alexandra Japan Vellum. This copy is number
Fifty One.

Presentation inscription on the second free endpaper reads, `To S.
Cron Cronwright, with my compliments, Joseph Ishill. July 1929´.

Signed on the front paste-down endpaper, `S. Cron Cronwright, Strand,
C.P. 6th August 1929.

Cronwright contributed an article entitled `Havelock Ellis´ to this
work. He has made some editorial corrections in pencil to his
contribution in this copy.

With a two page autograph letter from Ellis to Cronwright in which he
comments, `A few days ago I received the first copy, No. 1, of
Ishill´s book, a beautiful production with which I am well pleased &
I appreciate what seems to me his (..... et ......?) insight. It was
evidently a part of that insight that he should have approached you
for a contribution (for I suppose the idea was his own) & I need not
say what I feel about the beautiful paper you have sent him.´

Reserve: $200
Estimate: $400/600Illustrated on the site
Lot No. 419
On-Line Auction 71
http://www.auctionexplorerbooks.com

Clarke's Rare Books ABA-ILAB, SABDA, IOBA
E-mail: africana at clarkes.co.za
+27 21 794 0600
or: support at auctionexplorerbooks.com
Internet auctions: www.AuctionExplorerBooks.com
The auction website designed by booksellers for
international collectors & the booktrade

No Buyers' Premium