[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Margaret Mitchell Letter: "Even as Sherman's hordes struck at the gates of Atlanta...."

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Feb 16 10:31:53 EST 2010

MITCHELL, Margaret. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Atlanta, GA, 11 July
1938. Fine single-spaced 2-1/2-page letter of @800 words with an 18-word
holograph postscript on Mitchell's stationery to Herschel Brickell, a
noted book reviewer from Mississippi who served on the New York Herald
Tribune book section and who, at the time of this correspondence, was a
reviewer for the New York Evening Post. Mitchell begins by stating how
happy she is to be back home: "One of the most welcome sights I ever saw
was the bright blaze of the mid-afternoon Georgia sun.... I must be like
Georgia cotton--need red dirt and hot, dry weather." She also writes a
poignant paragraph about her husband staying behind to comfort a friend
who had just lost his wife: "I can't help wondering how people manage to
live through such things." She concludes with her disgust at being
famous: "Even as Sherman's hordes struck at the gates of Atlanta in a
long-past July, so do the hordes of summer visitors invade us this
month.... Father summed it up when he remarked on how strange it was
that there were millions of people anxious to go where they were not
wanted and were not invited." Her manuscript postscript mentions how she
lost her copyright case in the Dutch court and is appealing. SIGNED
"Margaret" in ink by Mitchell. All of the letters to Brickell that we
have seen were signed by Mitchell either as "Margaret" or as "M," an
indication of the personal relationship she had with him. Not in Richard
Harwell's MARGARET MITCHELL'S "GONE WITH THE WIND" LETTERS, though many
others to Brickell are. Normal mailing creases. Fine with the original
typed envelope.. 		$3,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com