[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Handwritten Letter by Franklin Roosevelt to his son about football, Warm Springs, etc.

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 25 13:23:47 EST 2010

One of many signed Franklin Roosevelt letters and books in stock at
http://www.charlesagvent.com

   ROOSEVELT, Franklin Delano. AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his
son James about football, Warm Springs, and building a dam. Warm
Springs, 13 October 1926. A superb two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER on both
sides of Roosevelt's personal Hyde Park stationery, completely in FDR's
hand, to his son James Roosevelt SIGNED as "Father." Roosevelt begins by
talking about Jimmy's life at school, especially football--"your old Dad
is keen to hear about it all-- and he was once a Freshman
himself!"--before talking about Warm Springs from which this letter is
addressed: "I'm working hard on my exercises down here & our medical
experiment period has been a joint success--all of the 25 patients have
greatly benefited. I hope this winter to get enough people to finance it
on a much larger permanent basis" (FDR established the Warm Springs
Foundation in 1927). "Next winter I will come here in Feb. instead of
going to Florida & I wish much that you would come down here at the
midyears or at Easter- I would love to have you here alone. There are
lots of interesting problems- Just now I am organizing the fishing club
& getting ready to let the contract for the big dam which will make a 35
acre lake. This project should finance itself in 3 years- Lots of love--
Take care of yourself. Affect. Father." Wonderful content touching upon
many of FDR's interests and foreshadowing the TVA program begun in his
administration. James Roosevelt became an insurance executive, a
position he left in 1937 to become secretary to his father in the White
House. He was decorated for his service as a Marine in World War II.
Autograph letters completely in Franklin Roosevelt's hand are quite
scarce, most especially so when to a family member. Normal creases from
folding. About Fine.                                     $10,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com