[Rarebooks] FS: Earliest important treatise on Horticulture published in England. 1629

Karmbooks at aol.com Karmbooks at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 12:41:15 EDT 2010

(HORTICULTURE) Parkinson, John. PARADISI IN SOLE PARADISUS TERRESTRIS. Or,
a Garden of All Sorts of Pleasant Flowers Which Our English Ayre Will
Permitt to Be Noursed Up: with a Kitchin-Garden of All Manner of Herbes, Rootes, &
Fruites, for Meate or Sauce Used with Us, and an Orchard of All Sorte of
Fruit-Bearing Trees and Shrubbes Fit for Our Land Together with the Right
Ordering Planting & Preserving Them and Their Uses & Vertues... London: (Humfrey
Lownes and Robert Young). 1629. First edition. Folio. (xii),612,(16)pp.
Complete with 110 woodcuts, comprising a pictorial title, portrait of
Parkinson, and 108 full-page woodcuts containing nearly 800 figures, mostly by
Christopher Switzer. Later Cambridge calf, triple-fillet borders stamped in gilt,
spine elaborately stamped and lettered in gilt in compartments. Hinges a bit
rubbed. An early ownership inscription on recto and verso of title and head
of dedication leaf. Fore-edge of title and lower outer blank corner of the
first ten leaves with professional paper restoration. Overall, a very good
copy.     $6,000.00 (trade discount allowed)
Hunt calls this work, "One of the most beloved of all early English books
on gardening." In addition to explaining how to design, cultivate, and
maintain different sorts of gardens, Parkinson describes more than 1,000 plants in
the work – including flowering seasons, medicinal properties, and variant
names for each – and debunks many popular superstitions about plants like
mandrake, mistletoe, and wolfsbane along the way. A landmark botanical book and
a cornerstone of any horticultural library. STC 19300. Henrey I, 282. Hunt
I, 215. Nissen BBI 1489.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com