[Rarebooks] FS: First Appearance in Print of MOBY DICK, 3 copies

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Mar 10 13:56:53 EST 2010

 From our internet catalog--HAWTHORNE, HOLMES & MELVILLE--recently
posted on our website: http://www.charlesagvent.com. It contains 50 fine
items, most newly cataloged.  A pdf version can be emailed to you if you
email us at INFO at CHARLESAGVENT.COM.  We hope you will visit.

(MELVILLE, Herman). "The Town-Ho's Story" from MOBY DICK in HARPER'S
MONTHLY. Volume III: June - November 1851. New York: Harper & Brothers,
1851. First Edition. Half black morocco with matching corners, marbled
boards, and a gilt-lettered and ruled spine; 864 pages. Illustrated with
engravings. The first publication of any part of MOBY DICK. The
eight-page excerpt is noted as being "From 'THE WHALE." The title of a
new work by Mr. Melville, in the press of Harper and Brothers, and now
publishing in London by Mr. Bentley." Light foxing, generally quite
clean; covers tight and firm with some rubbing to the joints and edges,
the gilt bright. Very Good. 		$250.00

(MELVILLE, Herman). "The Town-Ho's Story" from MOBY DICK in HARPER'S
MONTHLY. Volume III: June - November 1851. New York: Harper & Brothers,
1851. First Edition. Half black morocco with matching corners, brown
boards, and a gilt-lettered and ruled spine; 864 pages. Illustrated with
engravings. The first publication of any part of MOBY DICK. The
eight-page excerpt is noted as being "From 'THE WHALE." The title of a
new work by Mr. Melville, in the press of Harper and Brothers, and now
publishing in London by Mr. Bentley." Light, sporadic foxing, generally
quite clean; covers tight and firm, the gilt bright on the spine. Near
Fine. 		$300.00

(MELVILLE, Herman). "The Town-Ho's Story" from MOBY DICK in HARPER'S
MONTHLY. Volume III: June - November 1851. New York: Harper & Brothers,
1851. First Edition. Publisher's half black morocco with matching
corners and a heavily gilt-lettered and decorated spine; 864 pages.
Illustrated with engravings. The first publication of any part of MOBY
DICK. The eight-page excerpt is noted as being "From 'THE WHALE." The
title of a new work by Mr. Melville, in the press of Harper and
Brothers, and now publishing in London by Mr. Bentley." Moderate and
rather typical foxing; covers tight and firm with some light rubbing to
the spine, the gilt very bright. Near Fine. 		$400.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com