[Rarebooks] fs 1671.Ebn Tophail de Hai Ebn Yokdhan.Inspired Robinson Crusoe‏

r.azzi at comcast.net r.azzi at comcast.net
Mon Nov 1 15:12:57 EDT 2010

Offering:

Philosophus Autodidacticus sive Epistola Abi Jaafar, Ebn Tophail de Hai Ebn Yokdhan.

Abu Bakr ibn al-Tufail [Ibn Tufayl]; Edward Pococke (Translator) ,Oxford. 1671. 200 pages . Text in Arabic with corresponding Latin translation. Ex Library, with library perforation on one page (not title), library numbers on title page, remnants of a pocket and book plate on inside cover, and small label on the spine. No additional marks or repairs. Binding is paper covered boards, probably 19th century.

Ibn Tufail, (also Tufayl) c.1105-1185, was secretary to the ruler of Granada and physician to the Almohad ruler of Al-Andalus (Spain). This is considered to be the first Arabic novel and perhaps the first philosophical novel in any language. It is believed by some to have inspired Robinson Crusoe. It was an important influence on both Arabic and European literature.

No copies found anywhere. I believe I am offering this at a real bargain price. Check this Wikipedia item for a fuller discussion on its importance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayy_ibn_Yaqdhan

$3250.00 postpaid and insured in the United States. $3300.00 for international, registered post.

Payment by Paypal only. Subject to prior sale.

Thanks for looking.

Robert Azzi

Exeter NH

+1.603.264.6564