[Rarebooks] FS: Margaret Mitchell Letter Praising Atlanta and Georgia

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Nov 8 17:51:18 EST 2010

MITCHELL, Margaret. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Atlanta, GA, 4 Feb. 1949.
Fine single-spaced two-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) of @700 words
written just six months before Mitchell's untimely death at the age of
48 after being struck by a speeding automobile while crossing Peachtree
Street. Written on her personal stationery and SIGNED "Margaret Mitchell
Marsh" to Dr. C. E. Mayos. Personal content, in part: "We were sorry,
too, that you were routed through our poorer section and missed seeing
the residences which are Atlanta's chief charm." Mitchell discusses her
husband's health and inquires as to why Dr. Mayos has retired and is in
Florida, prefacing her inquiry by remarking, "It is not our habit to
speak out about the personal affairs of other people." Mitchell compares
Georgia to Florida and tries to convince the doctor to move to Georgia:
"Our state is the largest east of the Mississippi, a sparsely settled
one for such large territory, and we are very short of doctors." Normal
mailing creases. About Fine with original typed envelope. 		$2,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com