[Rarebooks] fa: ESSAY ON A METHODICAL ENGLISH GRAMMAR FOR SWEDES - 1748

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 19 09:55:17 EST 2010

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, Nov. 21. Details and images can be
found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

Ivar Kraak: An Essay on a Methodical English Grammar for the Swedes.
Gotheborg: Johan Georg Lange, Senior, 1748. FIRST EDITION. Text in
English, Swedish and Latin. Small 8vo (17.5 cm) in modern wraps with
printed labels; [16] + 372 + [4] pp.; woodcut decorations; with errata
and 3 pp. of publisher's adverts. Alston, ii, 569; ESTC T220598.

More than a mere grammar book, a fascinating social portrait of the
period, with much if not most of the text in English, providing a
detailed, colorful, occasionally amusing look at everyday life in the
18th century. Includes a series of lively "Dialogues" providing handy
phrases for (almost) any occasion, samples of letters and poetry,
modes of address, syntax, a list of useful interjections (sirrah!; ho
there!; Dewce take it!; well a day!; etc.), and a lengthy section (in
English) on the sites and curiosities of a host of European countries
and distant and exotic lands, including Tartary, China, India, Persia,
Arabia, Palestine, Ceylon, Maldive Islands, the land of the Negros,
Guinea, Sahara, Ethiopia, Florida ("Here grows a certain Tree, about
the Bigness of an ordinary apple-tree, the juice of whose Fruit the
Natives use to...anoint their arrows, being a rank sort of Poison"),
New England, New Jersey, Terra Firma, Peru, Land of the Amazons,
Brazil, Chili, Jamaica, Hispaniola, and the Bermudas.

Exceedingly scarce, perhaps downright rare: OCLC locates only 2 copies
in the U.S. (NYPL, UCLA Clark) and 2 in the UK (NL of Scotland, King's
College), and the only copy we can find in commerce is an imperfect
example of a later (1777) reprint. Browning and chipping to the edges
of the title-page (repaired/backed with tissue paper), similar
browning to the last leaf; bound a bit tight, obscuring some letters
at the gutter; leaves tanned throughout, one with edge repair;
otherwise very clean and crisp, simply and cleanly rebound in modern
paper wraps.

Perusing the purportedly useful phrases in the various categories of
the "Dialogues" is like wandering through an eccentric, Tristram
Shandy-ish picaresque novel in which the main character is a demanding
and rather testy traveler: On dressing one's self ("These stockings
have holes in them"; "Dress my wig (perewig)... and plait (gather) my
neckcloth"); With a Laundress ("What! Is this my linnen?; "Yes, sir,
it is in deed"; "It looks so yellow, that I hardly know it again"); On
Coming into an inn ("Where is the house of office, the little house,
the chamber-pot?"); To inquire after the way ("Is it not dangerous to
travel hereabouts?"; "Look here, sir, in this very place, hard by that
tree, they robb'd the other day a rich merchant..."; "Let us make
haste to get from hence for fear they should do the same to us"; "No
sir, there's no fear of that, for those that did it have been caught
and hanged since" [thus demonstrating to our traveler the swift
efficiency of English justice]; Between a Gentleman and a seaman
("Honest seaman, what is that white appears yonder?" "The rocks of
Engeland [sic] ... We shall be at gravesand [sic] within a short
time"); Betwixt a sick Person, a Physician and a Surgeon ("I've a pain
in my head; my heart akes, and I've a pain in my stomack too";... "You
must be let blood"; "I was let blood last week"; "Sir, give me your
right arm"; "You bind my arm too hard (tight). Have you a good
Lancet?"; "You will not feel it. Make a great orifice. The blood comes
as it should"; ..."How do you find your self today?"; "I'm very ill.
I'm a dying"). Other Dialogues include: Between a Gentleman and his
man; Between a stranger and a coachman; Of eating and drinking in a
cooks-shop (an ordinary); At Dinner; To the Post-master; etc., etc. A
lot of it seems of doubtful use to the 18th-century tourist, but a
rare and delightful read today.