[Rarebooks] FS - John Donne 1st collected poetical works

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Mon Oct 4 18:18:13 EDT 2010

*DONNE, John / J. W. [i.e., Izaak Walton]. /THE POETICAL WORKS OF DR.
JOHN DONNE, DEAN OF ST. PAUL'S, LONDON. IN THREE VOLUMES. WITH THE LIFE
OF THE AUTHOR/.* Complete three volume set, bound in contemporary full
leather. At the Apollo Press, Edinburgh. 1779. 1st edition, 16mo.

The first collected edition of Donne's poetry, these three volumes being
published as volumes 23 to 25 of Bell's "The Poets of Great Britain".
The "Life of Dr. Donne" is signed J.W., i.e., Izaak Walton. Each volume
has an extra engraved title page, the imprint at the bottom of which
reads: "Printed for John Bell, near Exeter Exchange, Strand, London,
Sept. 24th, 1779." The engraved frontispiece of Donne, in volume I, is
dated 1778, as is the engraved title page in volume II. The colophon at
the end of volume I reads: "From the Apollo Press, for the Martins, July
29, 1779"; for volume II the same except the date is August 5, 1779, and
the same for volume III, except the date is August 12, 1779. Pagination:
volume I, pp. cvi, [107] - 165, [two blanks]; volume II, pp. [5], 6 -
168, [two blanks]; volume II, pp. [4], 5 - 192, [two blanks]. Early
armorial bookplate of "Castehill" (/In Discrimine Salus/) on inside
front board of each volume. Volume I contains Walton's biography of
Donne (written in 1640), and the satires and epithalamions; volume II
contains the songs, sonnets, divine poems, and epigrams; volume III
contains the elegies, funeral elegies, letters &c. All volumes show
shelf wear. The edges of the boards are rubbed, and the gilt lettering
to the first two volumes is mostly absent. The hinges are tight, and the
contents are clean, with bright pages and very little foxing. Altogether
quite a good set of a very scarce item.

Price: $2,250.00.

Terms of sale - the pice is in USD. Payment by check or credit card.
Packing, postage, and insurance included to any destination. Returnable
within seven days of receipt if not as described (prior notice, please).

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,