[Rarebooks] FS: 3 copies of Thoreau's WALDEN illustrated with photographs and SIGNED by Edward Steichen, prices reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Oct 5 09:39:46 EDT 2010

  We will in the next few days be posting on our home page our latest
catalog: American Transcendental Literature: Emerson and Thoreau, which
will include these items as well as many new arrivals including signed
and rare pieces.

1.   THOREAU, Henry David. WALDEN OR LIFE IN THE WOODS. New York:
Limited Editions Club, 1936. Quarto (6-3/4" x 10") bound in black linen
and blue-green paste paper-covered boards. Illustrated with photographs
by Edward Steichen. Designed by D. B. Updike and printed at the
Merrymount Press. Copy #468 of 1500 SIGNED by the photographer on the
colophon page.  Contents fine; boards fine; spine mildly sunned with
some dust spotting and crinkling at head where there is a 1/4" closed
tear and a slightly smaller closed tear; slipcase lacking 3/4" piece at
top outside edge otherwise quite nice. Very Good in a slipcase with a
small piece missing on the top front edge.   WAS $650,     now $550.00

2.   THOREAU, Henry David. WALDEN OR LIFE IN THE WOODS. New York:
Limited Editions Club, 1936. Quarto (6-3/4" x 10") bound in black linen
and blue-green paste paper-covered boards. Illustrated with photographs
by Edward Steichen. Designed by D. B. Updike and printed at the
Merrymount Press. Copy #431 of 1500 SIGNED by the photographer on the
colophon page.  Contents fine; boards with bump to upper front corner;
spine with some of the black rubbed off in a few spots but not badly
sunned or worn; slipcase with one bottom edge neatly repaired the length
with sympathetic brown tape otherwise quite nice. Very Good in a Very
Good slipcase.     WAS $750,    now $650.00

3.   THOREAU, Henry David. WALDEN OR LIFE IN THE WOODS. New York:
Limited Editions Club, 1936. Quarto (6-3/4" x 10") bound in black linen
and blue-green paste paper-covered boards. Illustrated with photographs
by Edward Steichen. Designed by D. B. Updike and printed at the
Merrymount Press. Copy #1208 of 1500 SIGNED by the photographer on the
colophon page. Monthly Letter laid in.  Mild bumping to spine tips;
small adhesive stain on the front pastedown from bookplate once tipped
in. About Fine in a Near Fine slipcase.   WAS $1250,    now $1,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com