[Rarebooks] FS: Thoreau's A YANKEE IN CANADA, the first book publication of CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, 1866

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Oct 11 12:27:46 EDT 2010

  Among the fine items to be included in our American
Transcendentalists: Emerson and Thoreau catalog, most of which will
consist of new arrivals including much signed material.  To be posted on
our website this week.

THOREAU, Henry David. A YANKEE IN CANADA, WITH ANTI-SLAVERY AND REFORM
PAPERS. Boston: Ticknor & Fields, 1866. First Edition. Original green C
cloth, Binding C, no priority given. BAL 20117: only 1546 copies
printed. Borst A7.1.a notes 1500 copies printed. Distinguished for its
containing, in addition to the title piece, the first book publication
of "Civil Disobedience" and "Life Without Principle," Thoreau's two most
famous essays, as well as all of his major political writings. "Civil
Disobedience" influenced, among others, Gandhi and Martin Luther King
Jr. who cited it as his first intellectual contact with the theory of
nonviolent resistance. Bookplate of Julian La Pierre, M.D. dated 1904 on
the front pastedown. Scattered light foxing; cloth with no wear but old
staining to the spine and especially the rear cover. Still a Very Good
copy.         $900.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com