[Rarebooks] FS: Personal Address Book of the First African-American to play for the New York Yankees

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Oct 18 09:32:38 EDT 2010

  HOWARD, Elston. SIGNED PERSONAL ADDRESS BOOK of New York Yankee
catcher with many names including Jackie Robinson, Yogi Berra, etc. .
Small (2-3/4" x 3-3/4") pocket-sized otherwise unremarkable flexible
cloth address book but for the fact that it belonged to great New York
Yankee catcher Elston Howard who has SIGNED it with his address at the
beginning along with another smaller partial signature on the front
pastedown. It contains numerous names, phone numbers, and addresses
written by Howard including Jackie Robinson, Harry Belafonte, Carmine
Basilio, Rocky Colavito, Roy Campanella, Eddie Fisher, Lefty Gomez, Yogi
Berra, Ralph Houk, Minnie Minoso, Pee Wee Reese, Bill Skowron, etc.,
even Yankee Stadium itselft. Elston Howard was the first
African-American to play for the Yankees, one of the last major league
clubs to become integrated. Due to the presence of Yogi Berra behind the
plate, Howard played several different positions before he earned a
regular job with the Yankees and still managed to be a member of four
American League All-Star teams in that time. In 1963 Howard hit a
career-high 28 homeruns and was voted the American League's Most
Valuable Player-- the first black player to win the honor. An excellent
fielder and hitter, the nine-time All Star seemed to have only one
weakness: speed. His manager Casey Stengel reportedly said of Howard: "I
finally get a black guy and they give me the only one who can't run."
Howard died in 1980 at the ago of 50. A few loose or detached pages.
Backstrip lacking, shaken, but all there and quite scarce.         $750.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com