[Rarebooks] FS: Ralph Waldo Emerson's MAY-DAY, one of only 100 copies in the gift binding, INSCRIBED to Anna Cabot Lowell

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Oct 20 09:17:39 EDT 2010

  From our just posted internet catalog--American Transcendentalists:
Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau--consisting of 55 items,
mostly new arrivals and with many autographed pieces. Highlights include
several letters, manuscript items, and inscribed books by Emerson, a few
bound copies of the Dial magazine edited by Emerson and Margaret Fuller,
and a number of first editions by Thoreau including WALDEN and the issue
of his first book that prompted his famous quote: _"I have now a library
of nearly nine hundred volumes, over seven hundred of which I wrote
myself."_  We list two copies of those 700.  A direct link to our
Catalogs page is:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html?id=EPnCfiRM&mv_pc=1534

EMERSON, Ralph Waldo. MAY-DAY AND OTHER PIECES. Boston: Ticknor and
Fields, 1867. Original gilt-decorated white linen, the gift binding, one
of only 100 copies bound thus from a total edition of 2000. Both BAL
5250 and Myerson A28.1.a note that the earliest inscribed copies are
dated 1 May 1867, May Day. This copy is INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the
author as "R. W. Emerson" to Mrs. Anna C. Lowell on 1 May 1867 on the
first blank. Anna Cabot Lowell was the author of THEORY OF TEACHING, THE
ELEMENTS OF ASTRONOMY, and several books for children. A few pages
unopened. Spine slightly darkened with minor wear to the tips. Near Fine
and scarce.         $8,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com