[Rarebooks] FS: THE DIAL, edited by Margaret Fuller & containing Emerson's landmark essay "Transcendentalism" and poems by Thoreau

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Oct 21 10:14:09 EDT 2010

 From our just posted internet catalog--American Transcendentalists:
Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau--consisting of 55 items,
mostly new arrivals and with many autographed pieces. A direct link to
our Catalogs page is:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html?id=EPnCfiRM&mv_pc=1534

FULLER, Margaret and EMERSON, Ralph Waldo (editors). THOREAU, Henry
David. THE DIAL: A MAGAZINE FOR LITERATURE, PHILOSOPHY, AND RELIGION,
VOLUME II: July 1841, October 1841, January 1842, & April 1842. Boston &
London: E. P. Peabody/John Green, 1842. First Edition. Recently and
handsomely bound, without wrappers, in half green morocco and marbled
boards with morocco corners and gilt-lettered red and brown morocco
spine labels. A prototype of the 20th-century little magazine, the DIAL
was the most important American literary periodical of the 19th century
and one of the scarcest with print runs never exceeding 300 copies.
First edited by Margaret Fuller (1840-42) and then by Ralph Waldo
Emerson (1842-44), it not only featured many of their most important
works but also introduced the writings of Henry David Thoreau. Published
only from July 1840 to April 1844, Volume II's four issues contain two
poems by Thoreau, including his important "Friendship," later collected
in his first book, Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, and much by Emerson
including his defining piece "Transcendentalism." Page 421 has an early
ink correction, possibly in the hand of the editor. Errata slip bound in
before the last issue. Contents with light to moderate foxing; several
ink and blindstamp library stamps. Binding Fine.         $2,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com