[Rarebooks] FS: Spectacular copy of Henry David Thoreau's First Book

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Oct 29 09:16:08 EDT 2010

 From our recently posted internet catalog--American Transcendentalists:
Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau--consisting of 55 items,
mostly new arrivals and with many autographed pieces. A direct link to
our Catalogs page is:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html?id=EPnCfiRM&mv_pc=1534

THOREAU, Henry David. A WEEK ON THE CONCORD AND MERRIMACK RIVERS.
Boston: Ticknor & Fields, 1862. First Edition. Original green Z cloth,
Binding D, no priority. BAL 20104 notes this binding only in green P
cloth. Borst A1.1.a notes only copies in brown or purple cloth. The
famous Second Issue of Thoreau's first book and, other than WALDEN, the
only of his books published in his lifetime. There were 1000 sets of
sheets printed at the author's expense in 1849. The book did not sell
well, and in 1853 the 706 remaining copies (256 bound copies and 450 in
sheets) were shipped back to Thoreau, prompting the author to remark, "I
have now a library of nearly nine hundred volumes, over seven hundred of
which I wrote myself." Over the years Thoreau occasionally sold or gave
away copies. Ticknor & Fields purchased the remaining 145 bound copies
and 450 unbound copies from Thoreau in 1862, publishing the book with a
cancel title page and leaving the final leaf advertising the upcoming
publication of WALDEN intact. As has often been noted, whoever owns a
copy of this issue owns a copy once in Thoreau's library. This issue is
scarcer than the First Issue of 1849, and with its personal association
with Thoreau, it is quite desirable. A large, skimmed spot at the center
of the front blank with slight effect on the title page is the only
defect to this otherwise gorgeous copy. A spectacular example of this
scarce book.         $7,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com