[Rarebooks] FS: INSCRIBED with an original poem by Preston Sturges, winner of the first Academy Award ever given for Best Original Screenplay

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Apr 27 09:42:45 EDT 2011

One of the 60 fine new arrivals posted this week on our website as part
of our SPRING MISCELLANY catalog.  See them all here:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

STURGES, Preston. STRICTLY DISHONORABLE. New York: Horace Liveright,
1929 (1930). First Edition. Fourth Printing of this romantic comedy play
first produced on Broadway in 1929. It has been adapted for the screen
twice, first in 1931, then again in 1951. The play was Sturges's second
Broadway production and the first of his plays to be made into a film.
This copy is INSCRIBED with an unidentified poem and SIGNED as "Preston"
in January 1933: "What good to know this greenery / Is only shoddy
scenery-- / That Cupid is a stupid little fool-- / That the firmament
conspires / To gratify desires / That pass away when day is dawning
cool?" Slight offsetting to the endpapers from the dustwrapper which has
a slightly darkened spine. Near Fine in a Near Fine dustwrapper.

One of Hollywoods greatest filmmakers, Preston Sturges was the first
writer to direct his own script; thus, the credit "written and directed
by" first appeared before his name in THE GREAT MCGINTY. He also won the
first Academy Award ever given for Best Original Screenplay for that
script. Among his other films are SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (perhaps the finest
movie-about-a-movie ever made), CHRISTMAS IN JULY, UNFAITHFULLY YOURS,
THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK, and THE LADY EVE.         $1,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com