[Rarebooks] Angling Books from a noted Angling Author's Library

Garry R Austin mail at austinsbooks.com
Wed Aug 17 16:32:32 EDT 2011

For your consideration;
Books from the Library of noted angler and author, Lefty Kreh

Bernard "Lefty" Kreh is an American-born fly fisherman, photographer and instructor. Lefty is considered to be one of the pioneers of Saltwater Fly Fishing, his book, "Fly Fishing In Salt Water" is considered the seminal volume on the subject. He developed "Lefty's Deceiver", a particularly popular and effective salt water fly.

Prices listed are retail; 20% discount applies, shipping is included. If you take two books 25%, three books 30%
The entire collection postpaid net @$750.00

Schwiebert Ernest. TROUT. New York: E. P. Dutton, (1978). First edition.  Octavo, brown cloth in Slipcase. I; xvi, (ii), 879, II; 879-1745pp. with index. Illustrated by the author. Color and black and white plates. Very good in a very good slipcase. Schwiebert's magnum opus and a cornerstone of any fly fishing library. Lefty Kreh's copy, signed by him in both volumes. $325.00

Schwiebert Ernest. NYMPHS; A COMPLETE GUIDE TO NATURALS AND THEIR IMITATIONS. (New York): Winchester Press, (1973). First edition.  Quarto, blue cloth, gilt in a dust jacket. (vi), 339pp. with index. Illustrated by the author. Color and black and white plates. Very good in a very good jacket. Lefty Kreh's copy, signed by him on the front free fly leaf. His ownership stamp on the front fly leaf. Inscribed to Lefty on the front free fly leaf.;  "For Lefty, With the hope we may still share a stream of nymphing trout somewhere, or that you can teach me something about Bonefish or Tarpon or Permit - someplace between Treasure Cay and Costa Rica! Ernie. Baltimore, March 1974."$195.00

Bates Jr., Joseph D. STREAMER FLY TYING AND FISHING. Harrisburg:  Stackpole Company, (1966). First trade edition. Octavo, blue cloth in a dust jacket. xv, (i), 368pp. with index. Illustrated. Drawings by Milton C. Weiler. Bruns B-80. Very good in a very good jacket. Lefty Kreh's copy, inscribed to him by Joe Bates; "For my good friend, - Lefty Kreh -- an accomplished angler and sportsman who makes me wish that Florida was closer to Massachusetts. Best Wishes from Joe Bates, Jr. April 20, 1967." $150.00

Bates Jr., Joseph D. STREAMERS AND BUCKTAILS, THE BIG FISH FLIES. New York:  Alfred A. Knopf, 1979. First edition. Octavo, brown cloth and decorated sage boards in a dust jacket. xiv, 395pp. with index. Illustrated. Pencil drawings by Bill Elliott.  Pen and Ink drawings by Milton C. Weiler. Very good in a very good jacket. Lefty Kreh's copy, inscribed to him by Joe Bates; "To my good friend, - Lefty Kreh -- an angler and a gentleman all others should try to emulate. Best Wishes from Joe Bates, Jr. February 7th, 1980." $125.00

Haig-Brown, Roderick L. FISHERMAN'S SPRING. New York: Crown Publishers, Inc., (1975). Reprint edition, Sportsman's Classics Series. Octavo, yellow cloth in dust jacket. 222pp. Frontispiece. Chapter head illustrations. Very good in a very good jacket. Lefty Kreh's copy, signed by him with his ownership stamp as well. $125.00

Haig-Brown, Roderick L. FISHERMAN'S SUMMER. New York: Crown Publishers, Inc., (1975). Reprint edition, Sportsman's Classics Series. Octavo, cream cloth in dust jacket. 253pp. Frontispiece. Very good in a very good jacket. Lefty Kreh's copy, signed by him with his ownership stamp as well. A review copy with a letter from the publisher.  $125.00

Pfeiffer, C. Boyd. SHAD FISHING. New York: Crown Publishers, Inc., (1975). First edition. Large octavo, cream cloth and sage boards in pictorial dust jacket. 177pp. with index. Illustrated. Very good in a very good jacket. Lefty Kreh's copy, inscribed to him by the author; "To Lefty Kreh -- one of my closest and dearest friends - a joy to fish with on any waters - who in a way is responsible for this and other writings through constant encouragement, help and inspiration, to this fledgling during the early days. Boyd Pfeiffer." Also a review copy with a letter from the publisher enclosed. $125.00

Garry R Austin
mail at austinsbooks.com
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730