[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH of Margaret Sanger to a dear friend

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Dec 5 11:47:37 EST 2011

One of 45 interesting items from our recently posted catalog, WOMEN AND
THEIR QUEST FOR EQUAL RIGHTS, recently posted on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com.  Our next catalog, a Winter Miscellany,
with many interesting items including letters by Louisa May Alcott and
Thornton Wilder as well as a variety of scarce books, will be posted
within a week.

SANGER, Margaret. SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH. . A fine 8" x 10" formal
black-and-white photograph of Sanger INSCRIBED and SIGNED by her to a
close friend: "Merry Christmas/to/Leighton with/love/Margaret
Sanger/1959." Margaret Sanger, the originator of the phrase "birth
control" and its best-known advocate, sought to create equality between
the sexes by freeing women from what she saw as sexual servitude. She
survived Federal indictments, a brief jail term, numerous lawsuits, and
hundreds of street-corner rallies and raids on her clinics to live to
see much of the world accept her view that family planning is a basic
human right. Signed photographs of this pioneer are quite scarce. Fine.

Leighton Rollins was an old friend of Sanger's.    Sanger's last
outgoing letter was to Rollins in July 1963. After her death in 1966, a
week shy of her 87th birthday, Rollins co-wrote an unpublished play
about Sanger. (#016111)        $1,000.00

See an image of this item here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016111.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com