[Rarebooks] FS: Two INSCRIBED First Editions of John Berryman's Pulitzer Prize Winning 77 DREAM SONGS

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Dec 29 13:24:13 EST 2011

BERRYMAN, John. 77 DREAM SONGS. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux,
(1964). First Edition. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize. INSCRIBED and
SIGNED by the author "To Martha/with love/- -I hope you & Christina/are
happy--/John/as from 103 - 2nd St., NE/Washington, D.C." Martha was the
name of both Berryman's mother and daughter (born in 1962), but we do
not know who this Martha and Christina are. Though undated, this is an
early inscription as the Berrymans moved into the D.C. apartment above
the poet's mother's apartment in the Fall of 1963 and stayed there until
Berryman bought his first house, in Minneapolis, in September 1964. The
book was published in April 1964 and awarded the Pulitzer in May 1965.
Near Fine in a Fine, later printing dustwrapper. (#006600)        $2,750.00

See an image of this inscription here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/006600.jpg

BERRYMAN, John. 77 DREAM SONGS. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux,
(1964). First Edition. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize. INSCRIBED and
SIGNED by Berryman with what amounts to a short letter: "To Anne/and to
Chis--if, as Kate & I/hope without knowing anything really/about it, you
have got together/again. We were bitterly sorry to/hear--from William,
not in the least/as gossip--of your separation./Whatever is happening or
does,let/me wish you a restoration of the/happiness I so admired in you
on/Mr. Frost's last summer./Affectionately/John/The Abbott
Hospital/Minneapolis 3,Minn./22 April '64." The book was published in
April 1964 and awarded the Pulitzer Prize in May 1965. The
recipients--Anne and Chis--are both referred to in Dream Song 38,
contained in this volume, a poem about Robert Frost's death. The Abbott
Hospital was a place of refuge for Berryman when overwhelmed by his
alcoholism. "In hospitals he found his society," Saul Bellow wrote in
his introduction to RECOVERY, Berryman's only novel. "University
colleagues were often more philistine, less tolerant of poets than were
alcoholics or suicidal girls." Cloth a bit faded and lightly spotted.
Dustwrapper soiled with small chips at the spine tips. Very Good in a
Very Good dustwrapper. (#011042)        $7,500.00

See an image of this inscription here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/011042.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com