[Rarebooks] fa: GEORGE CATLIN - NORTH AMERICAN INDIANS - 1st US Ed. 1841 (80+ plates, folding map)

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 11:10:55 EST 2011

Listed now, along with some other Americana, auctions ending Sunday,
Feb. 25. Details and images to be found at the URL below or by
searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.
George Catlin: Letters and Notes on the Manners, Customs and Condition
of the North American Indians. Written During Eight Years' Travel
Amongst the Wildest Tribes of Indians in North America. In 1832, 33,
34, 35, 36, 37, 38, and 39. NY: Wiley and Putnam, 1841. Two volumes,
tall 8vos, in original publisher's cloth with designs in blind and
gilt; viii + 264 pp.; viii + 266 pp.; 175+ leaves of plates, folding
map, tipped-in errata slip. Howes C241. Sabin 11536

The FIRST AMERICAN EDITION of Catlin's famous work (issued the same
year as the London first), one of the most important 19th-century
works on American Indians, as well as one of the earliest to depict
them sympathetically and for the most part accurately. Complete with
300+ illustrations on more than 180 leaves of plates, three engraved
maps, including a nice example of the often missing folding map, and
the errata slip. (We count 182 plates — 76 in vol. I and 106 in vol. 2
— with at least one duplicate.)

The binding of volume I is in need of restoration: the spine is gone,
the front board is detached at the frontispiece, and the page
gatherings are loosening or separating; one text leaf is detached and
worn at the fore-edge. Volume II's spine cloth is split at the rear
hinge, but the hinge and board are secure and the binding sound; light
soiling and spotting, some bumps and wear to the extremities. The
contents are generally Very Good or better: toning to the text leaves,
a few occasional small stains, faintly visible impression of an erased
pencilled doodle on the frontispiece of vol. I; otherwise clean and
free of foxing. An externally imperfect but internally sound and
unusually complete example of this landmark depiction of Native
Americans.