[Rarebooks] FS: Alfred Chester's First Book: HERE BE DRAGONS, price reduced, along with the limited edition INSCRIBED to Mary Lee Settle

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Feb 18 10:07:01 EST 2011

Price reduced:    Was $125    Now  $50:

CHESTER, Alfred. HERE BE DRAGONS. Paris: Editions Finisterre, 1955.
First Edition. Printed wrappers in plain glassine dustwrapper. One of
1000 copies (of a total edition of 1125 copies) of the author's first
book, a collection of stories. About Fine in very slightly worn original
glassine.

/From the beginning of of Gore Vidal's foreword to Alfred Chester's
collected stories (HEAD OF A SAD ANGEL):"Although it has been my
misfortune to have at practically all the noted American writers of the
last half century, I did have the great good luck never to have so much
as glimpsed Alfred Chester. He was, by every account, a genuine monster
whose life comprises one of those Cautionary Tales that tend to
over-excite journalists and school-teachers. Drink and drugs, paranoia
and sinister pieces of trade did him in early, and the chronicle of his
descent is as fascinating to read about in these pages as it must have
been pretty grim to live." /      $50.00

Also available is the scarce limited edition of this book INSCRIBED to
writer Mary Lee Settle:

CHESTER, Alfred. HERE BE DRAGONS. Paris: Editions Finisterre, 1955.
First Edition. Printed wrappers in plain glassine dustwrapper. Copy #5
of 100 numbered copies (of a total edition of 1125 copies) of author's
first book. This copy SIGNED on the title page by the author and
INSCRIBED and SIGNED "Alfred" on the half title to novelist Mary Lee
Settle and her husband "with lots + lots of love 'n kisses." Slight
darkening to spine. About Fine in original glassine.    $750.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com