[Rarebooks] FS: THE INDIANS' BOOK, Inscribed by and with a letter from Theodore Roosevelt

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 10 13:17:21 EST 2011

One of many fine items from our recent catalog--WINTER MISCELLANY
2010--with 56 select items, all new arrivals.  See it on our home page:

http://www.charlesagvent.com

CURTIS, Natalie (Theodore ROOSEVELT). THE INDIANS' BOOK: AN OFFERING BY
THE AMERICAN INDIANS OF INDIAN LORE, MUSICAL AND NARRATIVE, TO FORM A
RECORD OF THE SONGS AND LEGENDS OF THEIR RACE Inscribed and with an
LETTER SIGNED (LS) by the former President. New York & London: Harper &
Brothers, 1907. First Edition. Quarto (7" x 10") bound in the original
publisher's color decorated cloth. "Illustrations from photographs and
from original drawings by Indians" as well as numerous illustrations of
the music and lyrics to Native American songs. Boldly SIGNED "with best
wishes from/ Theodore Roosevelt/ Jan. 8th 1911" below a printed
Roosevelt letter in the introduction of the book. In addition, laid in
is a LETTER SIGNED (LS) by the former President dated 14 April 1910 to
the owner of the book on "Grd. Hotel Britannia Venise" letterhead. In
full: "Dear Mrs. Hoppin, I have only just received your note (12.45 this
morning), of course too late to come. I have only time for a line. With
hearty thanks to you and Mrs Curtis." Owner name "L. C. W. Hoppin/ Xmas
1908" on the front endpaper. Light wear, some rubbing to the spine
edges. Very Good.         $4,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com