[Rarebooks] FS: Two First Editions INSCRIBED by Martin Luther King, Jr., one to a neighbor who took care of his children

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 17 10:15:12 EST 2011

KING, Martin Luther, Jr. [Martin Luther King, Jr.]. WHERE DO WE GO FROM
HERE: CHAOS OR COMMUNITY? New York: Harper & Row, (1967). First Edition.
INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the front free endpaper: "To Mrs.
Howard Lewis Allen/In appreciation of your/great support/Martin Luther
King Jr." About twenty pages have ink and pencil marks in the margins
and single words or sentences underlined. Two pages have a few words
crossed out and replaced in ink. Very Good in a Near Fine dustwrapper.
         $10,000.00

KING, Martin Luther, Jr. [Martin Luther King, Jr.]. STRENGTH TO LOVE
Inscribed to a Neighbor and Babysitter for his Children. New York:
Harper & Row, (1963). First Edition. King's second book and first
collection of his sermons. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the
front free endpaper: "To my friend/Rachel Ward/With Best wishes/and warm
Personal Regards/Martin." Rachel Ward is mentioned by Dexter Scott King,
son of Martin Luther King, Jr., in his book GROWING UP KING: AN INTIMATE
MEMOIR when he describes his home life in 1967: "The kitchen is beyond
the dining room. There my mother or the ladies who helped her, Mrs.
Dorothy Lockhart or Mrs. Newman or sometimes Mrs. Rachel Ward, caused a
racket of pots and pans. Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Patricia Cook Latimore
sometimes looked after us when Mom and Dad had to do important
business." Dexter was seven years old when his father was killed in
1968. Genuinely signed books by King are hard to come by; those with
such a fine association as this are rarely encountered. Very Good in a
bright, Near Fine dustwrapper with mild wear.         $20,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com