[Rarebooks] FS: Chevrier's popular & scandalous novel, "Le Colporteur" (circa 1761-62)

karmbooks at aol.com karmbooks at aol.com
Wed Jun 1 14:31:04 EDT 2011

Chevrier, Francois Antoine. LE COLPORTEUR: HISTOIRE MORALE ET CRITIQUE.
A Londres (The Hague or Brussels): Jean Nourse. L’an de la Verite (No
date, but circa 1761-1762). Sm. 8vo. (2),224pp. With the half-title.
Title printed in red & black, within a decorative border. 19th century
calf over marbled boards, hinges a bit rubbed. Private library rubber
stamp on title. $450.00 (trade discount allowed)
A curious & popular novel by the satirist and scandalous writer
Chevrier. There are at least 6 different undated editions with
different pagination and other variations. We have the correct first
edition which should end on page 224,
have a 2-color title page with a border, the double-rule at the bottom
of the title beginning at the end of “z” in “chez,” and the “an” in the
imprint is lower case. Copies of this work were censored in France and
confiscated by the police. See Darnton. CORPUS OF CLANDESTINE
LITERATURE IN FRANCE, 1769-1789, #101. Gay I, 619.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com