[Rarebooks] FS: True First Edition of James Joyce's DUBLINERS, 1914

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Mar 16 11:01:05 EDT 2011

JOYCE, James. DUBLINERS. London: Grant Richards, 1914. First Edition.
Original red cloth with gilt lettering. The very scarce original edition
of Joyce's landmark book comprised of 15 short stories including the
title story, "Araby," and "The Dead." Of a total of 1250 copies, this is
one of only 746 copies bound by Richards with the other 504 sent to
America for the edition published by B. W. Huebsch. A rare book seldom
seen in any condition, this copy seems to have been either retouched or
is something of an anomaly from the publisher. The red dye to the cloth
seems streaked somewhat on the front cover with the gilt there mostly
dull though the gilt on the spine is very strong. The endpapers, which
are completely original, are dyed red and are wove while the text is
laid paper. Slocum in his bibliography of Joyce notes that the endpapers
should be cream-white and wove. We are unaware of any other copy that
has red endpapers as does this one. In addition all edges are trimmed
and dyed red as well; Slocum notes the trimming but says nothing about
the color. Both blanks and the half title are of course present. The
text is very clean with one page having several words rubbed resulting
in light inking and someone has inked over several of the letters. On
the front endpaper is the owner name of Fagge dated 1914. Overall Near
Fine, lacking the extremely scarce dustwrapper.         $12,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com