[Rarebooks] FS: Woodrow Wilson breaks off relations with Germany, SIGNED by the President

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Mar 17 11:46:31 EDT 2011

 From one of the largest and finest selections of Signed Presidential
material offered for sale anywhere, with items added frequently.  See
many more at http://www.charlesagvent.com

WILSON, Woodrow. ADDRESS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES DELIVERED
AT A JOINT SESSION OF THE TWO HOUSES OF CONGRESS FEBRUARY 3, 1917.
Washington: [Government Printing Office], 1917. First Edition. The true
First Edition, preceding the book edition. Printed wraps, [1], 2-6,
[7-8] pages. SIGNED by the President at the end of the text. A scarce
copy, especially when signed, of this highly important speech where
Wilson, for the first time, officially broke relations with Germany: "I
have, therefore, directed the Secretary of State to announce to His
Excellency the German Ambassador that all diplomatic relations between
the United States and the German Empire are severed" (page 5). Wilson
would officially declare war on Germany less than two months later. The
ostensible reason for Wilson taking America into the "war to end all
wars" was the continued German submarine sinking of ships with American
passengers. Minor, light wrinkling. Near Fine.         $6,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com