[Rarebooks] FS: Two Fine LOUIS ARMSTRONG Letters, completely handwritten

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Mar 25 12:19:35 EDT 2011

These will be included along with many fine and diverse items we will be
bringing to the New York Book Fair, April 8 - 10, at the Armory on Park
Ave. and 67th St., including many new arrivals not yet listed on the
internet.  Please visit us in booth D8.

ARMSTRONG, Louis. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) of 5-1/2 pages. Corona,
NY, 17 April 1965. Fine 5-1/2 page letter on both sides of three 7-1/4"
x 10-1/2" sheets of blue Satchmo letterhead with a SIGNATURE almost six
inches long! The most famous jazz musician of the 20th century writes to
a Mr. Kauffmann as he recuperates from an Eastern European tour. In
part, "Here I am sitting in my home in Corona on Easter Sunday night all
by myself writing this letter to you while my wife Lucille has a good
sleep. The reason we are so tired is because we have just returned from
our tour behind the Iron Curtain, which we both enjoyed very, very much.
We did a broadcast in Frankfort [sic], Germany not long ago." He offers
emotional support to his recently widowed friend. "I always feel very
sad when you mention your dear wife. The way you feel about Hilde - she
felt the same way about you. True love. So as I've always said, when two
people love each other like you & Hilde did you must feel contented.
Never worry - never grieve! even if you should marry again. Stay happy.
I preach those same words to Lucille lots of times during our life
together. I have so much from the life she & I have already live [sic]
together until I don't want no misery from [for] which ever one of us
should leave this earth last." Armstrong also requests Kauffmann to send
him a new batch of lip salve whenever he has it. SIGNED as Louis
Armstrong and Satchmo. A remarkable letter from a charismatic,
innovative performer whose musical skills and bright personality
transformed Jazz from a rough regional dance music into a popular art
form. Light creases from mailing. Near Fine.         $5,000.00

ARMSTRONG, Louis. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) of 3-1/2 pages. Fine
3-1/2 page letter written entirely in the jazz legend's hand with
interesting personal and show business content on the back of four
8-1/2" x 11" photocopies of his advertisement for "Lose Weight The
Satchmo Way." In part: "Enclosed is a tape [not present] that was
recorded from the television show that I had when I was the Guest on the
Dick Cavett Show, a real live show. I thought that you and the family
would like to have it. I received all of your letters and as always I
enjoyed reading them. So did my dear wife Lucille.... I also received
the last shipment of lip salve that you sent to me. Also the big cans,
which Lucille keep in the Refrigerator. But Mr. Kauffmann, you forget to
mail to me the bill. Please my Dear Friend I am ready to send a check to
you which will cover everything. Send to me the bill as soon as you can.
And I will gladly pay you. Because I am always relaxed when I have a lot
of lip salve. And for God sake, you must make it forever. I went down to
Philadelphia Pennsylvania to do a T.V. show on the Mike Douglas Show....
We got in touch with Mr. Gruner.... He was the agent for Mr. Franz
Schuriz Lip Salve--Ansatz Creme. He's still around.... We send best to
you and your family. Also we wish you all lots of Happiness. Goodnight."
SIGNED as Satchmo and Louis Armstrong with a large signature. Also
included is the original mailing envelope, in Armstrong's hand, with his
signature and return address on the reverse. Light creases from mailing.
Near Fine.         $4,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com