[Rarebooks] FS: Works of ROBERT BROWNING in full morocco with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED bound in

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Mar 30 10:22:42 EDT 2011

One of several finely bound sets we will be bringing to the New York
Book Fair, April 8 - 10, at the Armory on Park Ave. and 67th St.  This
particular set has not yet been listed on the internet.  Please visit us
in booth D8.

BROWNING, Robert. THE WORKS OF ROBERT BROWNING with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER
SIGNED (ALS). London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1912. Centenary Edition . Ten
octavo (5-3/4" x 8-5/8") volumes attractively bound in full burgundy
morocco heavily gilt-decorated including a central floral device on each
cover with red and green onlay on a solid gilt background; spines with
five raised bands; gilt dentelles. Each volume is illustrated with a
black-and-white engraved portrait of Browning done by Emery Walker after
various artists. Copy #454 of a limited edition of 526 copies. This set
has bound into the first volume an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED by the author
dated 7 May 1878 to a Mrs. Castle. In full: "Mr. Barnett Smith has
written, by an unpardonable piece of negligence, the word you underline,
critic, for 'cricket' - which pray let mr. Maitland correct - taking my
best thanks for his attention to what could have made us all ridiculous
enough. I shall soon make up for my own disappointment in having missed
you - this week has been a very busy one for me. We all here want much
to enjoy your company when you can arrange to gratify us with it. I am
writing now in intense haste, but a word will serve the purpose." SIGNED
"Ever affectionately yours, R Browning." Minor wear and rubbing. One
volume with a slight vertical crease down center. Near Fine with a
handsome shelf appearance.         $2,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $30.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com