[Rarebooks] FS: Theodore Roosevelt's AFRICAN GAME TRAILS, First Edition, INSCRIBED

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu May 5 08:59:23 EDT 2011

One of the 60 fine new arrivals recently posted on our website as part
of our SPRING MISCELLANY catalog.  See them all here:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

ROOSEVELT, Theodore (Teddy ROOSEVELT). AFRICAN GAME TRAILS. AN ACCOUNT
OF THE AFRICAN WANDERINGS OF AN AMERICAN HUNTER-NATURALIST. New York:
Charles Scribner's Sons, 1910. First Edition. The First Trade Edition
bound in publisher's decorated cloth; xv, [i], 529 pages. Illustrated
with photographs, drawings, and maps. INSCRIBED and SIGNED on the front
endpaper by the author less than 3 months prior to his death: "Inscribed
for/Mr. L. DeSales Casey/with the best wishes of/Theodore Roosevelt/Oct.
18th 1918." Roosevelt loved travel and was the first standing president
to travel abroad. Shortly after he retired from the presidency in 1909,
he sailed for Africa returning a year later. This book is an account of
his African hunting trip and is not often seen signed by Roosevelt
outside of the edition limited to 500 copies issued by the publisher
signed. The front endpaper has a little wear along the edge not
affecting the inscription. There is also a two-inch tear on the top of
page 260 with no loss. On the facing illustration is a fingerprint in
ink (Roosevelt's?). The top of the spine has a half-inch closed tear.
Near Fine.

Casey was the Art Editor of Collier's Magazine during the early 1900's
and had a passion for collecting autographs.         $6,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com